For Those Concerned
Preventing Drug Abuse: Some Do's & Don'ts
- Hits: 6701
What Not to Do
- Don’t attempt to punish, threaten, bribe, or preach.
- Don’t try to be a martyr. Avoid emotional appeals that may only increase feelings of guilt and the compulsion to drink or use drugs.
- Don’t allow yourself to cover up or make excuses for the alcoholic or drug addict or shield them from the realistic consequences of their behavior.
- Don’t take over their responsibility, leaving them with no sense of importance or dignity.
- Don’t hide or dump bottles, throw out drugs, or shelter them from situations where alcohol is present.
- Don’t argue with the person when they are impaired or high.
- Don’t try to drink along with the problem drinker or take drugs with the drug abuser.
- Above all, don’t feel guilty or responsible for another’s behavior.