1. Background about IFBC and the Role
The International Federation of the Blue Cross (IFBC) is a politically and denominationally independent, Christian organization consisting of about 40 member organizations, predominantly in Africa, Europe, Brazil and India, engaged in the prevention, treatment and after care of problems related to alcohol and other drugs. The Blue Cross has been focusing on the issue of substance abuse and alcohol policy for more than 130 years.
In Summer 2007, the International Federation of Blue Cross received great news from Blue Cross of Norway that they have been awarded as main (and only) beneficiary of what is probably the world’s largest one day fundraising event called the “TV–Campaign”! That means that in October 2008 all Norwegians will be invited to donate towards the work of the BC Norway and the IFBC. In recent years the TV–Campaign generated a double digit Euros amount in the millions. The BC of Norway has generously decided to give 50% of the generated funds to the IFBC to promote and enhance the work through its member organizations and has asked the IFBC to take the leading role in developing and implementing the international projects within the TV Campaign. Projects funded by TV–Campaign money have to be implemented within 5 years (2009– 2013. Primary beneficiaries are – as it has been defined in the application of Blue Cross Norway–, affiliated member organizations, with a special focus on India, Southern Africa and Eastern Europe
The vision and guidelines of the IFBC has agreed upon are:
- A main focus on capacity building. TV–Campaign proceeds are used primarily as seed money.
- Striving to build and support independency as a core value in our Organization.
- Achieving sustainability by supporting healthy organisational structures and management systems.
- Use of funds in accordance with our mission statement (e. G. South empowers the south) and strengthen both the IFBC as umbrella organisation and the Member organisations
- Embracing a participative, pragmatic, value– and competence–based approach.
The programme manager has overall responsibility for supervising 4 to 5 Pilot projects financed by the IFBC in 2009 and beyond. She (he) has overall responsibility for the effective implementation of projects in line with agreed objectives. This will involve overseeing and enabling the smooth operations of the projects and ensuring that the projects are working effectively achieving the desired results and community and social impacts. The programme manager will work alongside and in support of colleagues locally and is accountable to the IFBC secretariat.
She/He will work in close collaboration with the General Secretary of Blue Cross India.
2.2 Programme Management and Coordination
- Selection and hiring of project leaders together with BC India
- Assist project beneficiaries in designing and developing projects
- Assist in managing programme implementation and provide guidance and encouragement to development good day to day project management / delivery practice
- Facilitate effective and coordinated communication of information between all organizations and staff involved in programme implementation.
- Assist project teams in preparation of financial and narrative reports and revisions, tracking and reporting of programme expenditures on a regular basis
- Carry out regular monitoring of the projects (activities, developments, achievements and financial)
- Review progress on regular basis with local stakeholders / local colleagues involved in projects and provide timely feedback and reporting to IFBC secretariat as agreed
- Ensure representation of IFBC in donor committees and working groups on national and regional level.
- Ensure collaboration with external partner organizations in project implementation
- Assist in programme information dissemination
- Overall responsibility for initiating and providing capacity building for project staff and selected state coordinators
- Coach, train and support project leaders in the work they are doing – providing administrative as well as technical support as appropriate. In particular provide technical advice on project management.
- Encourage the exchange of ideas and good practice between IFBC projects and other relevant projects and activities outside the IFBC
- Enable and support the development of local awareness of fund raising needs and opportunities for key persons and project leaders of BC India.
- Encourage and support the development of new local / international sources of support for projects
- Provide information and publicise the issues, needs and achievements of the projects to current and potential donors. Communicate proactively with potential donors.
- Develop and manage fundraising, taking responsibility for achieving a co–financing strategy and donor coordination
- Expertise in project management preferable in the area of substance abuse including financial monitoring of the project
- University degree in social science or other equivalent training
- Experience and expertise in Fundraising
- Experience in Evaluation (if possible)
- Highly developed relational skills â€“ ability to work with others, be proactive as well as manage own priorities and time effectively
- Administrative efficiency
- Ability to adapt to realities of working with people with little project experience (mostly with volunteers). Empathetic and supportive, pragmatic and flexible as well as results oriented
4. Location, Contract period and general information
Pune in Maharastra, India or in the proximity.
Date of begin: January 1, 2009.
Full–time position with a limited contract for 1 year but with high possibility for prolongment.
The position will require a certain amount of national and international travel.
5. What we can offer
The salary will be based on local standards and similar to the funding standards of other small NGOÂ´s and faith–based organisations.
We can offer a highly motivated team in an international organization.
Please send in your CV and letter of application till 15. August 09 to:
Irene Abderhalden and Mark Moser
International Federation of Blue Cross
PO Box 6813
For further information please contact us per email or by phone (41 31 300 58 60)