Special therapies, feature activities
Every Saturday: 9.00–10.30: Music therapy
Every Sunday: 11.30–1.00: Life enrichment therapies viz.– Values, time and money management, social issues, laughter therapy, creativity therapy, physical theatre by visiting faculties
Every Wednesday: 10.30–11.30: Antardeep send–off function to the inmates in a very traditional way.
Every Thursday: 9.00–10.15: Special groups for model therapy, quiz contests, role plays etc.
Every Friday: 9.00–10.00 Gardening and/or viewing films about nature
Last Saturday of every Month 10.00–1.00: Celebrating sobriety birthdays
Input sessions are lectures delivered by experts. At Muktangan we call it meditation. Each input session is followed by a question–answer session.
The main topics discussed are given below with corresponding reference to the therapeutic goals.
- HIV/AIDS: Information about what is HIV, how it is transmitted, risk factors etc. is given in a comprehensive way.
- Substance abuse: Information about various drugs abused and their effects is given.
- Medical complications: Medical officer explains effects of drugs and alcohol on various organs and systems.
- Psychiatric complications: Substance abuse is closely related with psychiatric problems. Various issues involved are explained in detail.
- Sexual problems and addiction: This is one of the most important subjects delicately explained by our psychiatrist.
- Serenity prayer: We believe that serenity prayer is the most effective tool in the recovery process. The prayer is explained by illustrating various life experiences.
- Mental health: Criteria for mental health is explained. Friends are then helped to check the areas needing improvement to restore mental health.
- Physical health and fitness: Qualified trainer explains nurturing physical health.
- First four steps of AA: Four separate sessions are organised to explain first four steps. Powerlessness over addiction, unmanageability of life, higher power, and self–inventory are explained in detail.
- Meditation and awareness: Information about Vipassana is provided. Also types of awareness are explained.
- Hobbies and creativity: Inmates are given the opportunity of using creative instances for happy and healthy living.
- Happiness and satisfaction: We endorse the view that happiness is the path, not a destination. The difference between point satisfaction and process satisfaction is explained.
- Anger control: Anger is a very common problem with addicts. Various tools of expressing and ventilating anger are explained.
The de–addiction treatment program is for five weeks – 34 days starting every Friday. The daily routine for the friends is as below
|6.00||Wake up time|
|6.30–7.00||Warming up and physical training|
|7.00–7.10||Instructions and prayer|
|7.15–8.30||Tea, maintenance duties & personal hygiene|
|9.00–10.00||Meditation – Input sessions by experts|
|10.00–12.00||Time slot for visiting counsellor/Diary writing/Library|
|14.00–15.00||Rest for new patients|
|14.30–15.30||Group therapy for 4th and 5th week inmates|
|15.00–16.00||Relaxation therapy for newly admitted and time for counselling|
|18.30–19.30||AA/NA meetings (Thrice a week)|
|19.30–20.00||Prayer and distribution of medicines|
|21.00–22.00||Entertainment– TV/Audio/Video/Indoor games/Books|
Follow–up center activities
Counsellers from Muktangan make regular visits to follow–up centers all over Maharashtra. While at the follow–up centers, they
- Make home visits if required.
- Attend to patients in need of individual counselling.
- Determine if a patient needs to be admitted to the de–addiction center.
- Develop support groups consisting of ex–patients.
- Conduct family counselling and sahajeevan meetings.